Deck Design Memphis TN
Custom Builder, Neighborhood Developer
Better Business Bureau, Memphis Area Home Builders Association, NAHB Certified Green Professional, National Association of Home Builders, National Association of Realtors
Site-Built Homes, Owner/Builder
An attached deck allows you to step out straight from the door to your deck.
One of the most appealing and profitable features you could add to your home would be a deck. People are staying closer to home for entertainment and family events these days, so designing and building a deck could be a good decision for your next remodeling project.
When designing a deck, one of the very first decisions you must consider is if you will build an attached deck or a detached, freestanding deck. Make yourself familiar with the specific challenges for each type of deck design .
The attached deck is connected to the house and is probably the more preferred decking of homeowners. An attached deck allows you to step out straight from the door to your deck.
Key issues in building this type of deck are:
- Where will the deck be built in relationship to the house? Consider the home's design, access in and out of the house, the area that is available outside, the grade of the yard, the deck's height, and the deck's relationship to existing landscape.
- How will an attached deck be attached?
- How will the siding be cut away at the point of attachment?
- Is there solid house framing at the point of attachment to properly support the deck? Where will the ledger board be attached and where will you need to install flashing?
- How many footings and posts are needed in supporting the deck and where should they be placed? The bigger the deck, the more footings ...
Read the full article in the CalFinder Remodeling and Home Solar Power Magazine